If you feel that one of our members breached the Lending Code in their dealings with you, we can help to resolve the situation if:
- You have exhausted the firm’s own internal complaints process
- The matter in question is not and has not been considered by the courts or any other independent arbitration or ombudsman scheme
The FLA’s scheme is based on conciliation, so we can’t award compensation or compel our members to make a payment. Our role is to liaise between both parties to resolve the problem.
If you remain dissatisfied after the process, you can still refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) – so long as it arose after 6 April 2007 when the FOS started providing Ombudsman services for consumer credit.
|PPI COMPLAINTS: If you have a complaint about the sale of PPI, please read the information below carefully.The FLA will be UNABLE TO CONSIDER your complaint in the following circumstances:
The FLA WILL CONSIDER cases in the following circumstances:
WHAT YOU CAN DO NEXT: As we are unable to deal with your complaint, you may want to consider taking legal advice on any alternative options available to you.
How to make a complaint against one of our members
- Check the list of Full FLA Members to make sure your lender is subject to the Lending Code. If the firm doesn’t appear, remember to check your credit agreement because they may use a trading name.
- Once you have found them on the list, you need to register your complaint and supply us with some basic information. There are two possible ways of doing this – by either submitting a complaint online and attaching the additional information, or by downloading and completing the form that can be found at the bottom of this screen and posting it to us with the supporting documents. If, for any reason, you would prefer a complaint form to be sent to you, please call the FLA on 020 7836 6511
The supporting documents should include:
- A copy of your credit agreement
- Your account/agreement number
- Copies of any supporting documentation/correspondence you have
- Your completed Consumer complaint form
- If you are acting on behalf of the agreement holder, a signed letter of authority from the agreement holder
If you are posting your complaints form, don’t forget to sign it as this grants the FLA authority to conciliate on your behalf and gives us access to account information held by the company you are complaining about.
We will send you an acknowledgement e-mail or letter. If you do not hear from us within a week, please get in touch to make sure we have received your complaint.
Please address all complaints to: The Compliance Manager Finance & Leasing Association Imperial House 15-19 Kingsway London WC2B 6UN Fax: 020 7420 9600 Email: email@example.com
If you are completing the FLA online complaint form, please ensure that you also print, sign and return the consumer complaint authorisation form below.
Referring complaints to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS)
The FOS was set up by Parliament to consider complaints that consumers and financial firms aren’t able to resolve on their own. Your lender will provide you with information about this route as part of their complaints handling processes.
Contacting the Financial Ombudsman Service
Monday to Friday – 8am to 8pm Saturday – 9am to 1pm
- 0800 023 4 567 calls to this number are normally free for people ringing from a “fixed line” phone – but charges may apply if you call from a mobile phone
- 0300 123 9 123 calls to this number are charged at the same rate as 01 or 02 numbers on mobile phone tariffs
These numbers may not be available from outside the UK – so callers from abroad should use +44 20 7964 0500.
For more information, log on to Financial Ombudsman