Understanding and dealing with The Financial Ombudsman Service – A complaints strategy course in three parts
A new case study-led strategy course for FOS complaints management, designed for managers.
Part I – ‘Understanding FOS’
- Defining contemporary issues firms experience with FOS, including inconsistent uphold rates and leading views, data and evidence problems.
- Understanding FOS’ legal basis and how it interacts with FCA regulation
- Investigating how FOS interprets regulation:
- The ‘Fair and reasonable’ test and its practical and moral dimensions.
- FOS’ emphasis on ‘affordability principles’ within complaints handling
- Understanding how FOS uses and interprets evidence (data releases), including how FOS publicly communicates what issues it is interested in and what to look for
- Being aware of FOS and media influence
- How FOS is funded, and how it will change in 2020.
COVID-19 case focus
The course will emphasise how firms should manage complaints in light of coronavirus, by clarifying FOS views on COVID-19 forbearance, and how these interact with FCA temporary guidance.
Delegates will be encouraged to share experiences and understand common issues.